Friendly reminder: If you recently filed your 2019 tax returns, please forward a copy or speak with your accountant to have a copy sent to us.
2019 Tax Year Guidance
On March 21st, 2020, the Treasury Department and Internal Revenue Service announced that the federal income tax filing due date is automatically extended from April 15, 2020, to July 15, 2020. Taxpayers can also defer federal income tax payments due on April 15, 2020, to July 15, 2020, without penalties and interest, regardless of the amount owed.
While taxpayers do not need to file any additional forms or call the IRS to qualify for this automatic federal tax filing and payment relief, the IRS urges taxpayers who are due a refund to file as soon as possible.
We recommend consulting with your tax advisor to determine the right strategy for your tax circumstances.
Qualified Charitable Distributions:
The IRA custodian’s Form 1099-R does not disclose the amount of qualified charitable distributions.
- If you directed your IRA to make a qualified charitable distribution (QCD) in 2019, we will be providing you with documentation showing distributions that we assisted in processing with you and the custodian.
- If you issued checks from your IRA for qualified charitable distributions, we recommend reviewing your check register and providing your tax preparer with these details.
Form 1099 (Taxable Accounts):
- Capital Gains and Losses: These are reported on the Form 1099 from your custodian.
- Other Expenses from Taxable Accounts:
- If applicable, Forms 1099 also will include other expenses paid out of your taxable accounts, such as margin interest, which may be deductible.
- If applicable, Forms 1099 report foreign taxes paid out of your taxable account during the year together with disclosure of gross foreign income.
- Delivery (Mail or Digital): Please note that depending on your delivery preferences, you may receive certain 1099s via regular mail, while others may be received digitally. We have provided a calendar on when to expect the initial 1099s from the four main custodians that we work with.
- NOTE: Investment companies sometimes change how income is classified after year-end, which may result in your custodian having to issue revised Forms 1099. Please double-check with your custodian(s) for revised Forms 1099s to ensure that you have the complete data.
Donor Advised Fund Noncash Contributions:
If you made noncash contributions, including securities, valued at more than $500 to a donor advised fund during 2019, please note that you need to file a Form 8283 with your federal tax return.
Completed Tax Return:
For our wealth management clients, please be sure to forward copies of your completed 2019 federal and state tax returns to us once they are completed, so that we can review and discuss tax strategies with you for the upcoming year.
We hope that you find the above information useful in the preparation of your taxes. Please contact us with any questions.
Custodian Mailing Schedule For 2019 Tax Reports
Our recommended custodians have provided us with the following estimated mailing dates for your 1099s and other tax related documents. Please note that the dates are estimates and that actual mailing dates may vary. In addition, custodians may send corrected form 1099s, which should be forwarded to your tax preparer upon receipt.
- 1099 1st Mailing: Late January to Early February
- 1099 2nd Mailing: Mid-February
TD Ameritrade Institutional
- 1099 1st Mailing: January 17, 2020
1099 2nd Mailing: February 6, 2020
1099 3rd Mailing: February 12, 2020
Retirement Tax Forms (5498, 1099-R): January 16, 2020
- 1099 1st Mailing: January 25, 2020
- 1099 2nd Mailing: February 15, 2020
- 1099 3rd Mailing: February 29, 2020
National Advisors Trust Company
- 1099-Rs: January 31, 2020
1099s: February 15, 2020
Trust Schedules K-1 Wave 1: February 28, 2020
1099s and Trust Schedules K-1 Wave 2: March 15, 2020
Trust Schedules K-1 – Wave 3 (excludes accounts requiring extensions): April 10, 2020
Please do not hesitate to reach out to your wealth manager if you have any questions.